Thursday, September 17, 2009

Rotterdam

So now I know why the Big Chemical Company in my adopted hometown likes its European headquarters city so much.



Unlike Amsterdam, which led the way as the main port of entry prior to industrial times, Rotterdam took the lead in mechanization - and paid dearly for it during World War II.

Despite its proximity to Den Haag (The Hague), Rotterdam's historical district seemed never to recover, even though building of industrial warehouses seems to have thrived.

The small central district, tiny and decrepit, seems now to be undergoing additional "enhancement" in the form of demolition.



Amsterdam, passed over in the mechanization race, also was spared in the bombings, perhaps because it offered wares of another kind.

Both have reaped what they've sown, with Amsterdam being the tourist destination and Rotterdam the factory and industry capital of the Netherlands. Never thought I'd say it, but give me Amsterdam - or tell me what I missed in Rotterdam!




Added bonus: UNESCO Center for Water Education. Don't think the portable urinal on the street in front of it is the type of education they have in mind.



No comments:

Post a Comment