Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Tip 27 - Delta Airlines power outlets

For those who travel frequently, encumbered with significant amounts of electronic equipment, the term road warrior might better be termed seeker of power - as in power outlets. The odyssey is often circituous, and even in locations that having power makes sense, it's often hard to come by.

One welcome addition, for my travels at least, is the availability of power outlets at some seats on Delta flights.

For domestic US Delta flights, which I often get upgraded on, the addition of 110 power outlets is a welcome benefit. For Delta, this means flights on select Boeing 737, 747, 757, 767 and 777 planes.

On Northwest, the almost-subsumed airline carrier that Delta is merging with to create a single operating entity (SOE) that will be called Delta, the Airbus and Boeing 747 planes have outlets.

There are two annoyances with this wonderful addition.

First, while a few of the Delta planes have power outlets in particular coach class locations, at least according to Delta Sky magazine (deltaskymag.com), the location of these seems to be a well-kept secret that's not shown at the time of the seat-selection when booking online (delta.com).

Especially for those of us who fly frequently, including international flights where we no longer get bumped to Business Elite (the seats formerly known as First Class), the ability to choose a coach seat for a 6-8 hour flight that had a power outlet would be ideal and a great start to an overseas trip (imagine charging your laptop before you land rather than having to find a power outlet in a foreign airport).

Second, perhaps more disturbing for a feature that may entice some flyers choose Delta over another carrier, is the inconsistency with which the power outlets work. On the last two domestic flights, in first class, my power outlet hasn't worked, even though my seatmate's power outlet was working.

In the first instance, a flight from ATL to SFO on a 757, my question to the flight attendant about the failed power outlet led to a rebooting of the power system, which then caused everyone's outlets to stop working for the remainder of the flight. For the record, as much as I needed to work on the flight, I would not have made the request, had I known it would knock out the entire power outlet system.

In the second instance, on the flight I am currently on, the outlet at my seat also does not work, but my seatmate's does, and she - having nothing to charge - was gracious enough to let me use her outlet after the flight attendant first tried a reboot on the system. I don't know if that reboot (pushing a green button in the front of the cabin) jolted my seatmate's power outlet to life, as I had not tested hers beforehand, but I know it had no effect on the power outlet at my seat.

My suggestion, then, is to enquire with an agent on the phone (after booking your ticket online to save the booking fee) regarding the location of power outlets on the flight so that you can select a coach class seat and still have power close by, even if you don't get upgraded.

The secondary tip is to always treat your seatmate with respect, as you'll never know when you'll need a power up.

Delta, please fix the two annoyances, since this really is a great feature that entices flyers to remain with Delta.

No comments:

Post a Comment